Traveling Internationally with Your Child

A domestic flight with your child is one thing, but it can be significantly tougher if you’re planning on traveling abroad. It’s important to have the proper documentation for your child beyond the passport available, especially if only one parent is traveling. 

The rules for children traveling internationally have become significantly more stringent around the world as a means of reducing kidnappings, illegal trafficking and disputes involving child custody. To prevent any issues, consider bringing along a copy of the child’s birth certificate. It may also be worth having a notarized note from the other parent clearly stating that the child is allowed to travel internationally. Unless the child is being accompanied by both parents, any child under the age of 18 must have a notarized permission note from both parents or proof of guardianship if the child is traveling with someone besides the parent.

If your child does not have a United States passport and is under the age of 14, proof of consent from both parents or the guardian must also be included in the passport application. Both parents should be physically present upon submitting the passport application but there is also the option of providing a notarized statement of permission should a parent be absent.

If you have international travel plans, you may also want to familiarize yourself with the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program. The program immediately alerts the parents of an abducted child if another application for a passport is initiated anywhere in the world.

This update is provided bytravel insurance provider Trawick International. Some of our travel insurance plans include international and domestic inbound and outbound travel insurance, missionary travel insurance, trip protection and cancellation, visitor insurance, and Schengen Visa. Call 877-233-4591 for more information.